Monday 2 January 2012

2011

Okay I feel I need to explain a couple of things here. First up you may have noticed the reviews have slowed down to a trickle. It's not that I've stopped watching films (far from it), it's just that both my back (slipped disc), and my laptop are on the fritz. I'm hoping to get both up and running in the near future. So hopefully that kind of explains why I haven't been writing much lately.

Okay now for a quick run down of the best flicks I saw during 2011. In no particular order.

Black Swan 
Den som lever får se 2
Sucker Punch - Surprised that I enjoyed this, total fluff and more of an old man's wank fantasy than the female empowering flick it wanted to be.
Source Code - After Moon I was really stoked for this, but I found it pretty disappointing in the end.
Thor - Who'd have thunk it? Kenny B tackling one of the least interesting comic books would result in something quite as good as this.
Senna - Biased but hugely interesting glimpse behind the curtain of the Formula One circus. If you didn't love the guy before you saw this then you will by the time it's finished.
The Beaver - Oh dear, what could have been fantastic and weird in a Being John Malkavich way, just turned out to be odd and uncomfortable.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - Hands down film of the year for me. Perfect from start to finish. One of those they don't make films like this anymore films.
Captain America: The First Avenger - Like Thor I expected nothing and came away surprised by how much I enjoyed this.
The Adventures of Tintin - I loved this, even if I did miss the end through nodding off in the cinema. Best use of 3D I've seen so far (which isn't saying much). Totally captures the essence of the books.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Wasn't looking forward to this at all, but it's probably the second best Apes film ever. Looking forward to seeing where they go with this.
Drive - Good to see Nicolas Winding Refn finally come good with something other than his genius Pusher trilogy. It's been a long wait but this flick finally had not only style but substance. Like Mann at his best.
X-Men: First Class - Yet another film I thought I wouldn't make it to the end of, but turned out surprisingly decent. Proof that Fassbender could do Bond without a problem too.
Contagion - Not quite as good as I would have hoped for, Matt Damon doing his angry acting is a bit of a let down, otherwise a nice solid slow burning disaster flick
Submarine - Wow, there's a lot of Godard in Richard Ayoade's debut film. Best British film I saw in 2011 by a country mile. Looks great, small story and Paddy Considine with awful hair. What more could you want?
Super 8 - A film of two halves, loved the first half let down by the second. Well worth having a peep at though.        

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...